Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Ding Ding Ding! ?.

Raisin Pecan Bread (NYT)
Rustica (NYT)

Third time now, making the raisin pecan bread, and I had just noticed that even though 2 cups of poolish was made, only 1/2 cup gets used in the bread!!! But my previous loaves have turned out so good! Hmmmm...

I found the original Molly O'Neill article in the NYT 2000

http://www.nytimes.com/library/magazine/home/20000423mag-oneill3.html

Turns out in the article there are not one but three bread recipes. The amount of poolish would have been perfect if you made all three!!

So I decided to make the Rustica bread also. It is kind of like a country or french. Turned out good considering I only did 1 folding and then left it on the counter for 4 hours!

The raisin bread turned out curiously sour. I could not decide if it is good or bad. What was the "problem"? Was it because I left the poolish overnight on the counter, instead of "5 hours"? But the Rustica was not sour. Was it because I left the first rise of the raisin bread on the counter for a little longer than called for, or the long second rise in the fridge? It is a mystery.

And please Joyce, please remember to squeeze the heck out of the raisins next time before adding to the dough! Way too wet!

No comments:

Post a Comment